Friday 18 May 2012

Turkey Koftas (with feta and mint yoghurt)



Through doing a little bit of narcissistic blog re-reading, I have noted that I apologise for the state of nearly all the photos I take on here, usually with an excuse of lack of time, extreme hunger or cat intrusion.  However, I am gradually coming to the realisation that I'm actually just a rubbish photographer.  Frankly I blame my parents for convincing me to take useless A levels, like English and Psychology, instead of Art; and what the hell have I done with those! (apart from a degree in psychology and occasionally writing some words and stuff).  But I'm pretty sure at least 89% of you weren't that obedient, so why don't one of you with an AS in Arty Farty come round for dinner and teach me how to use my own camera? 

It's a fairly decent camera too - one of those fiddly SLRs - but in the 5 years I've had it I've only ever used the basic settings, with an occasional foray into manual focusing.  If you suggest the RTFM technique (read the fucking manual), then my response to you is YAWN. And I lost it anyway, so bore off.

With the above, however, I don't think the blame is entirely mine, because when it comes to kofta - let's face it - they're always going to look like a grilled turd.  I mean, no matter what your skill, a picture of Kate Moss is always going to look better than one Boris Johnson - you need your basic materials to start off with. 

But I promise they don't taste like faeces.



Turkey Koftas

500g free range turkey mince
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 spring onions, finely sliced
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp ground coriander
Grated zest of one lemon
Good pinch of salt and pepper
1 free range egg

For the yogurt
About 100g plain/greek yoghurt
Good sprig of mint leaves
About 70g feta cheese, crumbled

To serve - wraps and salady stuff

(If you're using wooden skewers, soak them in warm water before you start so that they don't burn). So take all of your kofta ingredients and mix together well in a bowl.  Then form them into little kebabs on your skewers (as discussed, they come out looking a bit like a poo so you won't go far wrong if you keep that in your head as a sizing basis (although you might get a bit grossed out)).  Place them on foil in a shallow grill pan and grill on a high heat for about 10-15 minutes, turning regularly.  As we're dealing with poultry here it's worth cutting into one before serving to make sure they're cooked through. 

Whilst grilling mix your yoghurt with the mint and feta.  Make a base of salad on your wraps and top with the yoghurt and koftas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment